September 6, 2017

September Issues


There is a day, every August, I awake with the memory of pumpkin spice on my tongue and the imagined feel of a thick, wool scarf around my neck, like a phantom sartorial limb, and I know it's time. It is time to buy the magazines.

I moved to New York City after college and worked for Gloria Vanderbilt's home furnishings company. My boss came from the fashion world, so my job every morning was to go through Women's Wear Daily and the trade magazines and pull trends. The things I pulled went directly onto the mood boards that hung above the collections. My point? I'm good at magazines.

My take-aways from the fall '17 magazines? Animal print, duh, but luxe animal print. Think velvet, velour, and faux fur. The Formation / military jacket is back, but with more bedazzling and a boxier silhouette. Bright, bold florals on top of more bold, bright florals, but with black (!!). Think more Heathers and less Kate Spade.


Wow, Vogue looks good to be 125 years old. Weighing in at 775 pages, this behemoth will set you back $9.99. Is it worth it? Yes. Plus, you can finally be in on all the Twitter jokes about how the liberal elites co-opted the Statue of Liberty.


This is just a page advertising Vogue's 125th anniversary edition, but I love this mix of colors and patterns. If I had a mood board, I'd put this on it.


Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Etro, Marni

Animal print!

"Ha-ha," they said when I bought a velour animal print robe to wear as a jacket. Well, dear Instagram follower, who's laughing now?


Gucci, J. Crew

I'm glad to see the return of the floral bomber jacket because I bought two last year, both from Goodwill, natch. I don't do sexy secretary, but I'm intrigued by this double floral, as opposed to how I usually wear mine - with an ironic tee and ripped boyfriend jeans.

I feel ridiculous every time I tie a bandana around my neck, but I refuse to quit trying to pull this look off. Thanks for the validation, J. Crew.


I pulled the most from this magazine, so if you only want to spend $5.99, buy Elle. It has 500 pages, so still a lot of bang for your buck. I have no idea who this is on the cover though.


Ralph Lauren, Missoni

For those of you just waking up from a coma, or not on Instagram, oversized blazers are big (heh) for fall. But don't buy a designer one. Go get one for $6 from Goodwill. I pulled these pictures because I've recently bought blazers in both of these patterns. And I just got them back from the dry cleaners, so watch out!


Chloe, Bally

Okay, two things. One, I love a purse in an interesting shape, even though most of them don't hold my iPad Mini phone. Where my 6sPlus users at? Two, I'm into these glossy black and red embellishments. Hot tip: there are $12 earring and pin versions of these at Pre To Post Modern. I bought the mouth earrings because they remind me of Rocky Horror Picture Show.


Stella Luna, Loeffler Randall, Vans, Nike Air Jordan III, Dr. Martens

Those of you old enough to have had to wear stilettos until SATC went off the air will rejoice with me at the resurgence of tennis shoes as fashion. I have checkerboard Vans, but I want some hightop Airwalks and OG Doc Martens. I'm also super into these v-shaped shoes everyone is wearing.


Loewe, Michael Kors Collection

In 2005, John and I were still early enough in our relationship to do couples Halloween costumes. John was an astronaut and I was his alien bride, which was presumptuous because we had barely been dating a year. I digress. My costume was a silver lame dress (that I still have). So, two things: I am relationship psychic and fashion psychic. Take note.


Junya Watanabe Comme Des Garcons, Libertine

This picture on the left is probably my favorite outfit in all three magazines. So this is a faux-fur animal print coat over a hoodie, over leather pants. I can't even. If I die this season, bury me in this.

I had a pair of giraffe print pants in college that I TREASURED. They were from the Victoria's Secret catalogue, circa 1996. These $1,000 Libertine pants remind me of them, and of the Sigma Chi formal in Atlanta I wore them to.


Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci

I love all of this. It's hard to tell, but the shoes in the left are animal print patent leather oxfords! I swear to God, I will be haunted to the day I die by the things I don't buy in thrift stores. Years ago, I found an embellished, box, denim jacket with shoulder pads, fringe and huge gold buttons and I didn't buy it. Why aren't there time machines yet?! P.S. These mid-length tweed skirts are a dime a dozen at the thrift stores and I love them punked out like this with a hoodie, moto jacket and combat boots.


I like Marie Claire. They have a good mix of fashion, think pieces, and book reviews. There's a lot in this magazine, I had just already flagged most of it. For only $4.99, it's worth buying.


Chanel

Obviously, none of us are buying Chanel, but, I found a thrifted version of this exact skirt at Goodwill recently. I had it on my rack at the September Sip, Style, and Shop event. Someone bought it. If it was you, tag me in a picture! I like these pleated skirts and I'm glad the trend isn't over yet.


Michael Kors Collection, Balenciaga, Jeremy Scott

Oh hello, more textured animal print. Is this the year I finally buy faux-fur? Can I pull off an eye patch? It's designer...


Pierre Hardy, Fratelli Rossetti

You guys, I'm going to go balls to the wall in silver lame this season. Just you wait. I love those silver stacked heel boot-shoes. I pulled the other page because there's another mid-length pleated skirt, and because I like those thick soled loafers with the buckle and tassel.


Gucci

Can you tell I love this jacket? I also love this zip-up, sweater jacket. I'm really into a bright floral on a black background. Thrifted version of this, I will find you!

P.S. Want more? Check out my September Issues post from 2016!

P.P.S. I'm sharing tips on creating a street style look on a budget here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...