March 30, 2010

Tuna Panini


I'm really into panini sandwiches so I registered for a panini press for our wedding & got one (thanks, Jessica & Brian!). Well, sad to say it's spent the past year & a half unused. Until tonight.

Tuna Panini
Adapted from Cooking Light

Serves 4

2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
3 tbsp Kraft mayo with olive oil
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 slices center-cut bacon, cooked & crumbled
2 (5 ounce) cans albacore tuna in water; drained & flaked
8 slices bread
4 slices provolone cheese

1. Combine 1st 6 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well to coat. Place 4 bread slices on a flat surface; top each bread slice with 1 cheese slice (we used butter, too). Divide tuna mixture evenly among bread slices; top each serving with 1 remaining bread slice.

2. Heat a large skillet (or panini press) over medium heat. Lightly coat sandwiches with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan; top with another heavy skillet. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned (leave skillet on sandwiches as they cook).

The recipe called for sourdough bread, but we used Trader Joe's Country White & it was fine. I only used 2 tbsp red onion, the recipe called for 3. I don't love onion. The recipe also called for 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed. I don't even know what those are, so I left those out. Cooking Light recommends serving this sandwich with fresh apple slices or a tossed green salad, but we used Ore-Ida Zesties because that's how we roll.

This sandwich was really good. Even John liked it. I'm definitely going to start using that panini press more often. I think I even have a panini cookbook. I should find that....

Bon appetit!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...