April 5, 2011

Chicken with Indian Spices & Yogurt

Chicken with Indian Spices & Yogurt

From Mark Bittman How To Cook Everything

Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 tbsp peanut or canola or other oil
About 1 cup AP flour for dredging
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 whole (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut up (legs cut in two), trimmed of excess fat, then rinsed & patted dry with paper towels
2 medium onions, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp peeled & grated fresh ginger, or 1 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups plain yogurt
Minced cilantro leaves for garnish

Directions:
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep skillet, Dutch oven, or casserole. Put the flour on a plate or in a shallow bowl & season it with salt & pepper. When the oil is hot (a pinch of flour will sizzle), dredge the chicken pieces in the flour (thighs first, followed by drumsticks, then finally breasts & wings), shaking off any excess. As you coat the pieces, add them to the oil & brown on all sides. Regulate the heat so that the oil bubbles but is not so hot that it will burn the chicken. (You can skip this browning step if you like, as noted above; heat the oil & go directly to cooking the onions.)

2. When the chicken is nicely browned, remove it from the skillet & pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of the oil. Turn the heat to medium & add the onions, along with some salt & pepper. Cook, stirring, until they soften, about 5 minutes.

3. Add the garlic, ginger, & spices, along with an additional 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook with the onions, stirring, until very aromatic, 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in the yogurt, then add the chicken pieces. Cover & cook over medium-low heat, turning the pieces every 5 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes (longer if you skipped the browning step).

4. Taste & adjust seasoning as needed. Garnish & serve.

Kim's Notes:
This dish was really good, although admittedly we need to work on our butchering skills. The smell in our house was amazing. It's the best our house has ever smelled. I had all of the spices except ground cardamom & it was kind of expensive. Publix had two choices, one was $10, one was $8 -- FYI. We served this with basmati rice. I bought some garlic naan from Trader Joe's, but forgot to make it. I wish I had because naan would have been really good to dip into the sauce.

Also, this was our first 'whole chicken' experience. I bought an organic chicken from Publix that already (thankfully) had the giblets (?) removed. I don't even know what giblets are, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out, although I never actually touched the chicken. John made the entire meal.

I remember when I was little & would watch my grandmother make fried chicken (my favorite meal) & would fake dry heave & squeal (yes, I've always been this dramatic) watching her clean & cut up the chicken. And she used to say, "You better get used to this because one day you're going to have a husband & a family & you're going to have to do this for them."

The entire time John was butchering his way through butchering the chicken, pun intended, I was laughing and thinking about how funny my grandmother is going to find this & how she will laugh out loud at the fact that I've managed to marry a man who will make me chicken without me ever actually having to touch it myself. Nama, I win, hahaha!

Oh, also knives. WTH knife are you supposed to use to cut up a whole chicken? Our chef's knife failed us & I had no idea which of our other 7 knives to use.... And lastly, where can we get our knives professionally sharpened?

That is all. Highly recommend this recipe, although set aside a substantial amount of time for it, unless, unlike us, you can clean & butcher a whole chicken in less than an hour.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not fun pulling the stuff out of the chicken! The real nice people take it out for you, some put in a bag, and the lazy ones...well I dont want to scare you ;)

Panda Parables said...

check world market for cardamom next time you go. i think all their jarred spices are $2.99. also...the indian grocer at the farmer's mkt will have cheaper options too.

i think that davis cookware place in hillsboro village sharpens knives (although i've never been, this is just something i've heard).

Libby said...

Kudos to you guys for using the whole chicken. I cannot do it.

I have been getting all my spices @ Whole Foods - they have them in the bulk section. It usually costs me around $1 or $1 50 for a small bag of any spice.

Tiffany said...

This sounds amazing, must try. Your chicken experience is giving me flashbacks to the time I had to cut whole chicken wings into sections...without a properly sharpened knife. Ugh. I didn't even want to eat them afterwards (but I did).

Renee said...

We use kitchen/meat shears to cut our chickens. WAY easier.

Delaney Mae said...

I get my knives sharpened either at Five Points Hardware (they have weird hours) or Davis Cookware in the village (which is just a weird place, but they really are nice). I buy all my knives at TJ Maxx, you can get REALLY nice brand-name knives there. The guy from Davis Cookware complimented me on how nice my (Calphalon) nice was and I wanted to tell him I got it for $19. A longer blade and really sharp tip (sometimes called a boning knife) can be really helpful for taking apart that chicken. But a chef's knife should definitely do the job...

This looks dreamy, we'll definitely try it soon! I swear the best our house has ever smelled was on vegetable korma day. YUM.

Mom said...

As your mother, I too remember when you were in middle school calling you from work to have you wash the chicken and put it in the crockpot for me. Once again, MS. Drama Queen, you said, "I can't do it!!! It looks like a real baby!" I said, "Put your sister on the phone!!" Poor April....now Poor John....lol

ND said...

Sometimes you make me want to eat meat again. ;)

ND said...

I also wish your mom commented on every post! It looks like a real baby! Ha!

The Blonde Mule said...

April: Yeah, John wanted me to ask the guys at Publix to cut the chicken up for us, but I was too scared to ask, haha.

Katie: Duly noted! I always forget about World Market, which is ridiculous since I live next door to one!

Libby: I didn't know that about Whole Foods. I'll definitely check that out - thanks!

Tiff: You MUST try this! I know you have the book, haha.

Renee: 10-4!

Delaney: Davis seems to be the place to go. We'll definitely try it. Honestly, we just need to buy a better knife, but sharpening the one we have will help. I need to check out TJ Maxx. Good call! Also, vegetable korma - noted!

The Blonde Mule said...

Mom: My ability to get other people to do disgusting tasks for me is unrivaled. I still also don't take out the trash or cut the grass, haha. I should call April & thank her for laying the ground work for a lifetime of getting out of things I don't want to, haha. Ahh, the joys of being the oldest...

Nichole: Be careful what you wish for, hahahaha! And it did look like a baby! Also worth mentioning, I used the same phrasing to get out of dissecting pigs in Biology. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that one, haha.

Mom said...

You know that is so interesting as I was reflecting back on raising you. I suddenly had the same realization that you are doing the same thing to John that you did to April! I also forgot to add that when I was on the phone with you, you sounded just like "Wendy Whiner" from Sat. Night Live. "BUUT it loooks jusst liike a baaaabeeee!" Now, the picture for your friends is complete!! Wow, don't you just hate moms that have long memories! ARG!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...