October 6, 2009

Book Review: My Life In France

Where to begin..... First of all, I loved this book. I mean, I loved this book. I don't read a lot of biographies, so I don't know if it was the biographical aspect that appealed to me or the subject matter. Probably a combination of both. I felt a real kinship to Julia. There were so many times throughout the book that I thought, "that's me!" There were also a lot of similarities between Paul & John. Every description of Paul could easily apply to John.

Their lives felt so carefree. They traveled, they lived abroad, they both had something they were passionate about. With Julia, obviously it was cooking & with Paul, it was photography. They never had children, so it was just the two of them against the world. I like that. I also like how social they were. They had all kinds of friends that they went places with, or just had over for dinner. They seemed to have a very full life.

I find it inspiring that Julia's path starting by simply eating at a French restaurant, falling in love with the food, & deciding to learn how to cook. This book, obviously, makes me want to become a better cook, but it also makes me want to find more time for things I enjoy doing -writing, reading, trying new recipes, & spending time with John.

I couldn't give a higher recommendation for this book. Everyone should read it.

Bon appetit!

2 comments:

BabySquids said...

I heart Julia Child. I'm gonna pick this up.

Panda Parables said...

yeah, this looks really good! thanks for the recommendation. i still have to return the omnivore's dilemma....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...