June 11, 2010

Book Review: Born Round


Tiffany, aka my book supplier, gave me a copy of Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater when I was in NYC in November, but I just got around to reading it. Here's the blurb from the book's website:

"Originally released in hardcover in August 2009, “Born Round” describes my eccentric and sometimes difficult relationship with food, from my childhood through my five and a half years as the restaurant critic of the New York Times. It’s about eating—publicly, privately, as a job, as a compulsion, with joy, with shame—and it’s about the role that food plays in families, in romantic relationships and in a person’s self-image. My eating yielded no shortage of drama and comedy, all of which is present in this story, told in a manner that I hope you’ll find entertaining and moving."

I was hesitant to read it because A) I didn't know who Frank Bruni was & B) it honestly just didn't interest me (because I didn't know what it was about). I doubt I would have ever read it if Tiffany hadn't given it to me, but I'm so glad I did.

I'm almost embarrassed at how much I identified with it. I've never been bulimic (I wish), but I've definitely flirted with the binge/purge scenario, well, at least the binge part. I have a bad habit of coming home from work at 4:45/5:00pm & snacking for an hour or so before I eat dinner. I'm usually full by the time we eat dinner, but I still eat lest I let on that I've been stuffing my face for an hour in front of the tv. I'm working on it.

I digress. Anyway, I identified with this book. I know what it's like to always feel like the biggest person in the room & to measure your self worth by what size jeans you wear. Also, this book touches on politics &, obviously, New York City, which I can relate to, as well.

The part of the book that details his time as the New York Times restaurant critic is fascinating. I had never put a lot of thought into what goes into being a NYT restaurant critic & the covert ops involved, but now that I know, it makes total sense. I loved reading about all the ridiculous antics he had to go through to dine undetected & the inevitable feuds he got into with some of NY's best chefs. It's so much more involved than I ever realized.

I loved this book! I highly recommend to anyone, but especially those of you with weight/eating issues. It's good reads.

2 comments:

dining room table said...

This is really a good read. I have been reading this book so that I will be reminded with what I am suppose to do with my eating.

tiffany said...

isn't it great? so glad you liked it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...