August 27, 2010

Thursday Night's Alright For Fighting

Last night Chromeo played at the Cannery & How I Became the Bomb (with John) played a Hall & Oates cover set/after party at Mercy Lounge. I love Chromeo & I was excited about the show, but the crowd was horrible. It was a bunch of drugged-up Vandy kids. We kept getting pushed & elbowed, twice we got drenched in beer because some asshole behind us shook his beer & sprayed it all over the crowd. Twice. The show was awesome, it was just a test of patience.

Post Chromeo, we all head over to Mercy Lounge for the Hall & Oates after party. Everything is cool, we're all dancing & having fun. Whatever. But then the crowd from Chromeo starts coming in. There was this girl behind us who kept slamming into us, dancing way too hard for Hall & Oates & not even facing the stage. Also, she was wearing sunglasses. Seriously. We all kept turning around & giving her the eye (like you do), to no avail. Finally, I turned around & shouted, "Seriously? Enough!" & she got up in my face & I pushed her. Hard. It was like the Matrix; time stopped & everything went into slow motion. I saw my hands go out in front of me & then saw her fly through the air & land on the ground. Then, from the floor, she looks up at me & says, "Whyyyyyy?" with her sunglasses all askew. I turned to her friends & told them to take her outside & that was it.

I'm immediately mortified & wonder who all saw me do it, but just try & act like it didn't happen & enjoy the rest of the show. The show ends & we go backstage where I'm met with cheers & high fives because apparently EVERYONE on stage saw what happened & thinks it's hilarious. I'm humiliated & tell them to quit egging me on, that I shouldn't have done it, etc. & then John, who had been drinking for easily 6 hours at this point, turns to me & says, "Baby, I'm so proud of you." Hahaha.

Anyway, that's it. It's one of those stupid things that you think about doing a million times, especially if you go to a lot of live shows, but you never do it. Because you're a normal person with some modicum of self restraint. I'm worried now that I've done it that I've opened some sort of Pandora's box of vigilante club behavior & will start going to shows just so I can push people down. God.....

I found out later that apparently everyone in the crowd was on "Molly". I have no idea what Molly is. I think it's some hybrid form of ecstasy & meth, which explains a lot. I'm too old for this shit. Clearly, 34 is the age where I need to quit going to shows like this.

P.S. Chromeo is amazing! They watched the show & then hung out with everyone backstage for a good hour, at least. I kind of heart them.

Full fighting photostream here.

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

i would have given anything to have witnessed this. while i love chromeo, "mama said knock you out" could have been a great video selection as well. just sayin'...

Khabra D said...

I'm living vicariously through you! wish I could've been there to yell, "Finish Her" in my Mortal Combat voice...lol

abpaulson said...

i HAVE always wanted to do this! i usually just do it really passive-aggressively and dance really hard back on them until they get the point.
and yeah, molly is ecstasy. i didnt know that either until dave came home from bonnaroo and taught me (he didnt know either).
but yeah, thanks, on behalf of humanity.

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog post ever. I SO want to be your bff right now. Just sayin'.

-random girl that reads your blog.

Libby said...

Bwahahahaha!!! Kim, that is amazing! I would have paid good money to see you push that girl.

Anonymous said...

I knew that our self defense class from college would come in handy at some point; for you it was a crazy girl at a show, for me, it was a door at a fraternity house... Win-Win.

-W.C.

The Blonde Mule said...

Dear White Chocolate,

Wait, wasn't it a bathroom stall door at Jonathon's on the Square? Or was it at a fraternity house? Same difference I guess, haha.

XOXO!

Anonymous said...

What is this Jonathon's on the Square that you speak of? I have no memory of this place:)
However, I do recall being stranded at the SAE house in a snow storm with everyone's keys stuck inside a locked bedroom...and feeling that it was MY duty to kick down the door so that we could go home. Ah, good times.

-xoxo W.C.

April P. said...

sorry... i'm a little late on this, but...

HOLY. SHIT. you are so my hero. please sign my boob.

seriously, you stepped up on behalf of all of us oldies that have had enough (seriously! enough!) and I'm swooning so hard right now.

The Blonde Mule said...

Thanks, April! I will gladly sign your boob, haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...