September 17, 2010

Pancake Run


Top (left to right): Jaime, me, Kathy, Mary Katherine, Melissa (MHG), Haylee & Heidi
Bottown (left to right): Carrie (organizer), Cara, Laret, Johnna & Jill

I've been running for pancakes since April. This morning Carrie, our beloved organizer, decided to take a picture of our little pancake crew. Why didn't we think of this sooner? Apparently we're all hams, which is appropriate since some of us (Heidi, MHG) like to "go ham".....

Without getting too mushy & thus endangering my street cred, these women have kind of changed my life. A little over a year ago, Mary Katherine recruited me into her book club, which isn't really a book club, but that's neither here nor there. I digress. I met these women last summer & thought to myself, "Holy shit, these bitches are in good shape! Maybe I should start running again." And I did. I did a couple 5Ks around town & made an effort to exercise harder & more often. Then in April, Carrie created this Pancake Run & the rest, as they say, is history.

I started running with them on Fridays & then running on my own two times a week. It's been a slow road, but I'm getting better. And by better I mean faster & skinnier, haha. But seriously, these lovely ladies have not only turned me into a runner, they're turning me into a better person. They are the most positive & encouraging people I know. Lately, I find myself asking WWHD (what would Heidi do)? Heidi is awesome & she's a beginner's best friend. I couldn't ask for a better group of friends. And! They've recruited me into East Nasty, which I am LOVING!

When I started, I was running a 15 minute mile, & that was if I could even finish running a mile. I'd say I'm around an 11 minute mile now & can run 3-5 miles. Who knew? Ideally, I'd like to get to a comfortable 10 minute mile & be able to maintain it for at least 3 miles. Hell, maybe I'll train for a half marathon. I can't imagine being able to run 13 miles, but then again, a year ago I couldn't imagine being able to run 3-5 miles either, so..... Crazier things have happened.

I want to give a special shout out to Mary Katherine, who I've known for 100 years & would not be doing this if she hadn't pulled me into her inner circle. Merci, mon ami!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

love it!

Panda Parables said...

that's awesome. you're lookin' super fit! i'd like to start jogging again. i totally gave up when my knee started bothering me.

PS: my word verification is "flump"

Panda Parables said...

PS you may enjoy this blog http://www.neverhomemaker.com/
i can't even remember how i stumbled across it, but it's this girl who runs a lot and people send in stories of their own running/health journeys. she posts (healthy) recipes and stuff too.

Jill Ann said...

Great to meet you! Congrats on picking up running again. And love that we all know Mr. Scary and Mr. Kiev. Haha. See you again soon...may not be at Pancake (I have WILD work hours) but certainly in the running gig.

Mary Katherine said...

I am teary-eyed reading this! Thank you for the touching shout-out. I love you more than you can imagine. You are one of the funniest, smartest women I know and I am so blessed to have you in my life. I love you, girl. Now... let's get our book/wine club on! See you later!

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous!!!

-W.C.

The Blonde Mule said...

Katie: you should totally try running again. I have issues with basically every joint in my body & I'm somehow able to do it. I think the key is not over doing it. Also, love that blog, thanks!

Jill: you, too! Hopefully I'll start seeing more of you! Kiev, hahaha. I can't believe I thought that was his name.

MK: J'adore!

Katy: Thank you!!

BabySquids said...

That's great lady! Congrats!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...