October 28, 2010

Jen Lancaster vs. Marie Claire (Give 'Em Hell, Jen!)

Over the past few days I've been somewhat aware that some shit went down online over at Marie Claire & that it had to do with "fatties", but I didn't really know the whole story. Today, as I was cleaning out my Reader, I came across a blog post on Jennsylvania that put it all into perspective. Granted, I'm biased because of my unabashed love for Jen Lancaster, but I think her response is AMAZING.

I've Got Your Counterpoint Right Here, Marie Claire

For those of you who haven't read the original Marie Claire post, you can read it here.

My two cents: yes, obviously obesity is an issue in our country, but since when did Marie Claire &/or Maura Kelly become experts on this topic? Could she have been more condescending? Hey Maura, I believe the average woman in America is either a size 12 or 14. Way to alienate & insult what I'm assuming is also the majority of Marie Claire's demographic. Furthermore, if she had spoken this way in reference to race/religion/gender, she'd be fired. Hello, Rick Sanchez & Juan Williams. Let's rein it in, people.

Discuss.

EDITED TO ADD:
The Sassy Curmudgeon weighs in, albeit more eloquently than I did. Read her post here.

2 comments:

Emotional Mullet said...

This made me mad: "I also think it's at least equally crazy, albeit in the other direction, to be implicitly promoting obesity!"

I say: How is a show, where the two characters meet at OA,"implicitly promoting obesity"?

And then this pissed me off: "Then again, I guess these characters are in Overeaters Anonymous. So ... points for trying?"

(don't you be so g'damn condescending)

I don't watch TV, so I haven't seen this show...but, let me tell you something "My-Anorexia-Trumps-Your-Overeating-Because-You-Can-Control-Your-Eating-YouDisgustingPiggyPeople" Lady...

(#1) you are so wrong and you know it; Eating Disorders are about NOT having control over SOMETHING; they are about creating and/or filling an all-consuming emptiness

(which you write about in your own account of your struggle with Anorexia on marieclaire.com)

and

(#2) going to OA is STRONG and BRAVE decision for anyone struggling with food issues and body image issues, on either end of the spectrum: overeating, undereating, normal-like eating and body obsession, binging, purging, overexercise...however the food issues, body image issues and the "I'm not-good-enough-to-Live-or-be-Loved" issues manifest themselves.

It is all deeper than food consumption and skinny jeans.

My disclaimer: Since I have never seen it, I don't know how the show presents Mike and Molly's struggles, or if it even presents OA as the "anyone" group as it is, but...what if someone struggling sees this show and is inspired to find happiness, find peace on the inside, find a meeting...and gets whatever help they are seeking to bring themselves closer to wholeness?

Great. Wonderful. Fabulous.

Another disclaimer: maybe I'm too sensitive? A dear, dear friend of mine encouraged me to attend an OA meeting several years ago after I begged her to help me. I went. I was scared. I didn't feel like "I belonged." I ran. She encouraged me to try again. She found a weekly meeting with a focus particular to the issues with which I was struggling. She took me to that meeting. I went to that meeting (and many more) and was scared, frightened, encouraged, depressed, disappointed, understood, and BLOWN AWAY by the pain, emotion, and bravery of the women and MEN with whom I shared that space every week.

Maura, everyone deserves happiness; even you.

(With a flick of the mullet, I will now get off my soapbox and go eat lunch)

The Blonde Mule said...

This is the best comment I've ever received, hands-down. Please write more. You're amazing.


See you soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...