January 6, 2011

Books!


In addition to all the books I'm constantly acquiring through both Book Swap & McKay, I have also received these books as gifts recently. I just finished I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee (from The Daily Show). It's a collection of witty, autobiographical short stories. There were definitely parts of it where I laughed out loud, but there were many parts I think would be funnier to someone 4 years older and with more knowledge of Canada, or Canadian humor. Definitely worth picking up for a quick, light read, but if you're looking for something really funny, I would recommend either Jen Lancaster or Sloane Crosley.

Prior to reading I Know I Am, But What Are You?, I read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovksy. I've wanted to read this book for awhile now, not really knowing what it was about, so when Libby brought it to Book Swap, I snatched it up. I assumed by the cover that it was some kind of French love story. Yeah, it's totally not. It's about WWII. It's fiction, but the author, Irene Nemirovsky, died in Auschwitz, so it's clearly historical fiction. I'm sure I'm smarter for having read this, but man, it was hard to get through. It took me forever to read & it's not a long book. I'm glad I finally read it, but I didn't love it as much as I expected to. I'm interested in what other people who've read it thought. Libby?

Yesterday I started reading David Sedaris' new book, Squirrel Meets Chipmunk. It's hilarious & it's really short, so I'll probably finish it today. I'll report back. LOVE David Sedaris!

P.S. The Cooking Light book is getting returned. Apparently "2010" actually means "2009" in Cooking Light speak, so I've got to exchange it for the 2011 version, which is sold out everywhere. Grrrr....

P.P.S. I don't know if I've ever taken a picture that so accurately represents who I am as a person as the one above. That picture is SCREAMING, "Thirty-something white woman, somewhat intellectual, with a penchant for healthy living, laughing & just the right amount of street cred."

4 comments:

Libby said...

I loved Suite Francaise, but I am a sucker for historal fiction. Did you read Freedom yet? I read a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I got Squirrel Meets Chipmunk for Christmas...gonna read it soon!

Eva said...

I like David Sedaris, but I don't love him as much as I FEEL like I should be loving him...if that makes any sense at all..

ND said...

Eva - I feel exactly the same way about David Sedaris! BM - I'm also interested in what you think about Freedom - keep us updated. I keep seeing it everywhere, but I'm leery of Oprah's Book Clubs. But if you say it's good...maybe I'll give it a shot.

The Blonde Mule said...

Libby: I haven't read Freedom yet, but I plan to soon. I really liked The Corrections, so I'm hoping to like this one, too.

Eva: It does make sense. Have you read Me Talk Pretty One Day? That may help.

Nichole: Same for you. I'll report back on Freedom. Franzen definitely isn't for everyone.

Thanks for all the feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...