April 4, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Pizza



Before.  Note the enormous chunks of cold cheese that not surprisingly didn't melt.


After!


Look at that pizza, just calling out for an egg.


Eggcellent!

I'm apparently going pizza crazy.  Just last week I hit it out of the park with Erin's proscuitto, jalapeno, goat cheese pizza.  You'd think I'd be satisfied; that my pizza itch had been scratched.  You'd be wrong.  It just awakened my inner pizza monster.  So off to the interwebs I went, searching for more pizza recipes.  I found this one on TasteSpotting.  It had me at cream cheese.

JALAPENO POPPER PIZZA

Adapted from Heather Christo Cooks

Serves 4-ish

INGREDIENTS

Pizza dough
Olive oil
Cornstarch
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 large jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
6 slices bacon, cooked to crispy
1 egg, optional (but HEAVILY suggested)

DIRECTIONS

Shape the dough into a ball.  Place it in an olive oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, & let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, pressing down with floured fingertips, shape the dough into a small, flat disk.  Working from the center, push the dough outward while spreading your fingers, making the disk larger.  Pick up the dough.  Move your hands along the edges, allowing gravity to pull the dough into a 14-inch circle.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Preheat your pizza stone with the oven.  Sprinkle the pizza stone with cornmeal & place the dough on the stone.  Brush the dough with 1 tbsp olive oil & bake until golden & crispy, 5-7 minutes.

Spread the cream cheese evenly over the pizza.

In a small dish, combine the jalapeno & shallot with 1 tsp of olive oil, then sprinkle over the cream cheese.  Add the bacon & bake another 5 minutes, or until the cream cheese is hot & golden & the jalapenos & shallots are softened.

Let cool for 1-2 minutes, then slice & serve!

KIM'S NOTES

This pizza was so good!  I think I like it slightly better than last week's pizza.  The only problem is that I forgot to let the cream cheese soften, so I couldn't really spread it on the pizza & ended up cutting it into chunks & then the chunks wouldn't melt & the crust was starting to burn.  Oy.  Make sure to use room temp cream cheese.  Trust.

Okay, let's talk left-overs.  There are people who put a ring on it, there are people who put a bird on it & then there's me.  I put an egg on it.  OMG y'all!  This reheated pizza topped with a fried egg BLEW MY MIND.  If I weren't so lazy & already in my pajamas (at 4pm), I'd go to the store & buy the ingredients to make this again tonight.  I'm totes serious.

Make this pizza!  Put an egg on it!  You're welcome.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...