March 23, 2015

How To Only Wash Your Hair Once A Week


It started innocently enough. I clicked an article on Pinterest titled, 6 Mistakes You're Making When You Wash Your Hair. Then that led me to this article on Bustle where they list step number one as, stop washing your hair. Yes... Tell me more.

I haven't cut my hair since February of 2014, it's color-treated, and I swim. So yeah, you could say my hair is dry, which makes me an ideal candidate for dreadlocks not washing my hair. I'm on my third week of only washing my hair once a week and I swear, my hair is healthier.

Here's how I'm making one wash a week last. I swim on Mondays, so that's when I wash my hair. My hair looks nice and normal Monday-Wednesday. On Thursday, I'll wash my bangs, which tricks the casual observer into thinking my hair is clean. Nope, just my bangs. I may use a little dry shampoo if needed. On Friday, I get in the shower and rinse my hair (no shampoo) and put conditioner on the ends, then reapply product and style as usual. It looks like brand new hair! For a day. Shit starts to get real on Saturday. I have to either amp up the dry shampoo or do another rinse cycle. Oddly, my best hair of the week is Saturday night. Sunday is rough, but no one sees me, so I just embrace my inner dirty hippy and go with it.

Tricks of the trade: buns, dry shampoo and not touching your hair. If you're a hair twirler/stroker, you're going to have to sit on your hands, especially towards the end of the week. You can't touch hair that hasn't been washed in 5-6 days.

The one day a week I wash my hair, I also deep condition it. I use this. And I use this if I rinse later in the week. I've also stopped combing through my hair when I get out of the shower. Instead, I took the advice in the article and comb through it in the shower while it's wet and then leave it alone.

I'm using two different dry shampoos right now, Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo and Dove Dry Shampoo. I bought the fancy Amika because it smells so good, but I'm kind of hooked on the $4 Dove. Next in line is Suave Keratin Infused Dry Shampoo, which everyone on Instagram raves about. Target was out of it, so I'm still on the hunt.

Questions? Concerns? I feel like you are going to have a lot of concerns about me only washing my hair once a week. And to you I say, don't hate the player, hate the game.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...