July 5, 2017

2017 Reading Round Up, Part Two


As a reminder, these are off-the-cuff reviews that I peck into my phone as soon as I finish the book. A literary critic, I am not. Also, this is real heavy on the self help. I've had a year.

Here's what I've been reading!

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) BodyHunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have no idea how to review a book that exposes this much vulnerability and uncomfortable truth. I felt this book the whole time I was reading it. And it felt uncomfortable, powerful and necessary. As someone with PTSD and my own self-built, emotional fortress, I have so much compassion and respect for what Roxane did in writing this book. I can't imagine the balls it took to write this, and then to go on tour and answer questions about it. To know Roxane's writing is to know she is a force, but so few people understand that a lot of times, being a "force" comes from trauma and living with unspeakable pain. This book should be required reading for everyone from young boys to adult women. And I hope it wins every goddamn award that exists.

The Mother of All QuestionsThe Mother of All Questions by Rebecca Solnit
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Powerful, must read. I read a lot of work from feminist writers, and this is the best book I've read so far. It'll fire you up without making you mad. It's more of a constant, low-simmering heat. My wish is for everyone I know to read this book. Much more engrossing than Men Explain Things To Me.


Into the WaterInto the Water by Paula Hawkins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Meh. It's okay. Not as gripping as The Girl On The Train. This one was easier to figure out. Still a fun, quick read.





Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential PrayersHelp Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Short, beautiful book. I love Anne Lamott. Highly recommend.






The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of TraumaThe Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel A. van der Kolk
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As someone with PTSD, this book went a long way in helping me further understand my PTSD. Many parts of the book were triggering and I'd have to walk away from it for awhile. It's not a fast read. It's dense and talks a lot about rape, molestation, and child abuse. I don't know that I'd recommend reading this book if you're not also in therapy. But the book was very helpful to me.

The Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge: 5 Principles to Transform Your Relationship with MoneyThe Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge: 5 Principles to Transform Your Relationship with Money by Ted Klontz
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Ugh, I hated this book. It's condescending. The exercises are helpful, but made me paint myself in a harsher light than needed. My therapist had to work to show me that the version of myself this book brought out is an old version (Kim 1.0). The current version of me (Kim 2.0) figured most of this shit out a long time ago and is mostly okay in regards to money. This book made me feel like I'm a lot more effed up than I am. If this book gets recommended to you, read it, and do the exercises, but check any revelations you have about yourself with your therapist.

You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome LifeYou Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is super self-helpy, but also super awesome. I'm surprised I don't know more people talking about this book since I know so many business owners and kickass corporate people. Everyone should read this book. *high-five emoji


Gwendy's Button BoxGwendy's Button Box by Stephen King
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I stayed up until midnight finishing this book. Short, quick read. It isn't "scary", but it's thrilling and fun to read.





This Is Just My Face: Try Not to StareThis Is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare by Gabourey Sidibe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a great memoir. The sequence of the chapters, and the story, make sense. Gabby is hilarious. If for nothing else, read it for the chapters on "phone sexery" and how she came to be cast in Precious. Funny, inspiring book.



Yes, ChefYes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loooooved this book. He wrote it in 2011, so it's a tiny bit out-dated, but it doesn't make any difference in his story. This is his story of his life, and OMG, its heart-breaking and inspiring. Great, great book. Definitely read it if you're interested in the NYC restaurant scene.


Love Warrior: A MemoirLove Warrior: A Memoir by Glennon Doyle Melton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I didn't need this book when it came out, but when I needed it, it was there and it helped immensely. Read this book if you need it.





Book of LongingBook of Longing by Leonard Cohen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I know nothing about Leonard Cohen or poetry, but I picked this book up at a friend's house and couldn't put it down, so I bought it. I enjoyed reading it, and it's made me more curious about poetry. Weird little book that I'm really glad I read.



In a Dark, Dark WoodIn a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is so scary! I loved it! I couldn't put it down. Hurry up and write more books, Ruth Ware.





The Female of the SpeciesThe Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I almost put the book down about 50 pages in because a lot of the early story takes place in a rural animal control shelter and I couldn't read those parts, but I stuck with it and those scenes end pretty quick and the rest of the book is fine. That being said, I couldn't put this down and read it in one or two sittings. Lot of trigger warnings though. Know what it's about before you pick it up.

All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent NationAll the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Great book that most of my friends would get a lot out of. Three stars because it's dense and took awhile to get through. Worth reading though.



I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a WomanI Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book! I'm already a little freaked out over aging and dying, but if anyone is going to freak me out any more, I'm glad it's Nora Ephron.



Station ElevenStation Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book! Couldn't put it down. It's dark and I dreamed about it every night while I was reading it, but it is a remarkable book. So much to think about!




P.S. Forgot what I read in the first part of 2017? Here you go!

P.P.S. Are we friends on Goodreads?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...