October 18, 2009

Stop, It's Chili Time!


Tonight I made my first chili of the season. God bless chili. I have two recipes that I alternate between. One is a little fancier & has a lot of veggies & the other is more "home on the range". Tonight I opted for home on the range. I recently saw a third recipe I'm interested in trying. It's in the October issue of Martha Stewart Living. It calls for peeling whole tomatoes, which I didn't even know you could so, so it may be a little above my pay grade. We'll see.

I got this recipe from my mom, who I think also has multiple chili recipes. Does everyone have more than one chili recipe? I picked up a bag of Frito's today, so it looks like we'll be eating our chili in Frito pie form tonight. I can't wait!

Mom's Chili

2 lbs lean ground beef
2 cans Del Monte chili style diced tomatoes
1 full size can tomato sauce
1 can Bush's chili beans
1 can refried beans
1 1/2 packages chili seasoning
Salt & pepper

You guys know what to do. Brown the beef, drain it, add it all together & cook. Tonight I added onion, garlic, oregano & Tabasco. My mom likes to serve her chili on top of angel hair pasta. I actually like to do that, too, but tonight we're going Frito's style. Topped, of course, with cheddar cheese & sour cream. Yum!

4 comments:

Jessica Wilson said...

You underestimate the lack of cooking experience of your audience. How long do you cook everything together after browning the beef? Do you use a crock pot? I love that this recipe has no onions since I'm allergic and practically every chili recipe calls for them.

Libby said...

Looks good, Kim! I have a bunch of chili recipes too. Sometimes it's hard to decide which one to make.

The Blonde Mule said...

Jessica,

Brown the meat in a 12" nonstick skillet. Takes about 10 minutes on medium heat.

While meat is cooking, pour all other ingredients into crockpot or whatever pot you're using. I use my big Martha Stewart dutch oven.

Once the meat is browned, drain it & add it to the pot with the other ingredients. Stir together.

If using crockpot, cook on low for 6-8 hours. If using dutch oven, cook on medium low for 1 hour.

Time saving tip: do all of this the night before, then in the morning, turn on crockpot & you'll have dinner ready when you get home from work.

Jessica Wilson said...

Thanks Kim! The art of cooking clearly was not handed down from generation to generation in my family. Baby steps....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...