February 6, 2010

D is for Depression


I had my annual physical 2 weeks ago. The doctor called me yesterday to tell me that I have "dangerously low" levels of vitamin D. Guess what dangerously low levels of vitamin D cause? DEPRESSION. Mystery solved. I knew I was depressed. This not only confirms what I've been thinking for the past couple of months, it also explains why. I can't tell you what a weight off my shoulders this is. I don't need therapy; I don't need anti-depressants - I apparently need to move to Florida.

My mom has the same issue, so I shouldn't have been too surprised. Apparently our bodies just don't absorb vitamin D. My mom & I have the same doctor, so when I had my physical last year, my doctor went ahead & had me start taking daily vitamin D & calcium supplements, which I've done for the past year, to no avail clearly. So now I'm starting this 3 month vitamin D booster... It's some huge vitamin D pill that I take once a week for the next 3 months. The good news is, at least they caught it before it turned into rickets....

More info on vitamin D deficiencies here.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Bummer. Rickets - thought that was a disease from the past.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...