June 21, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday Night:
I stayed in & watched Nine. Meh. I was a little let down. Astoundingly, Daniel Day-Lewis didn't do it for me like he usually does. However, I did love Penelope Cruz in this movie. Fergie I could have lived without. She just doesn't have a face that belongs in the movies. The music was good, but the storyline was hard to follow & you didn't connect with any of the characters. Ehh, two stars.

Saturday:
Book Club! MK & I are in a book club where you meet once a month, eat/drink, & talk about what you've been reading. Everyone brings a few books & you put them all in a pile & take what you want. I love it! BTW, the chocolate ricotta pound cake was a huge hit. Highly recommend that one as a go-to summer dessert.

Saturday Night:
MK & I had dinner & drinks at PM, then headed over to Mercy Lounge for The Smiths Tribute: The Queen Has Risen show. John, aka Johnny Marr, was in the all-star band that played The Queen is Dead all the way through. It was AWESOME. There were so many people there, albeit all wearing white t-shirts & pompadours. It was amazing. The show was so good! The crowd ate it up. They were shouting & singing along like it was really The Smiths. It's the most fun I've had at a show in a long time.

Photostream here.

Sunday:
We went to lunch with my parents for Father's Day, then went to Home Depot. My dad & John bought matching Dremels, then proceeded to joke about they just bought them to trim their toenails. Seriously. It was too hot to do anything yesterday. John cut the grass & I laid around inside, fanning myself & eating leftover chocolate ricotta pound cake.

Last night we made basil chicken & watched Avatar. OMG, Avatar..... I believe this statement, made about halfway through the film, sums it up accurately, "This movie is like one, big Led Zeppelin song." We didn't hate it, but we didn't love it either. We laughed a lot. So much so that I'm pretty sure, had we seen it in the theater, we would have been asked to leave. I don't understand how you spend, allegedly, your whole life dreaming up a movie, creating the planet, creating the species, creating the language, et cetera & then apparently throw your hands up in the air & let Larry the Cable Guy write your script. It's mind boggling. All of that aside, I'm glad we finally watched it. It's a really neat movie, if you can get past the horrible dialogue.

2 comments:

Libby said...

The source of the bad smell in your food was def the fish sauce. That stuff stinks like dirty socks, but tastes good in food. I saw a special on the Travel channel about how they make fish sauce. It wasn't pretty.

The Blonde Mule said...

Ugh, I can imagine. I think it's better that I don't know how it's made, because if it's anything like what's in my head, I don't need to see it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...