July 14, 2010

Book Review: Something Borrowed


Last week Lauren loaned me her beach copy of Something Borrowed to tide me over until The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest came in from Amazon. A lot of my friends have read Emily Giffin's books & recommended them, I just hadn't gotten around to reading them yet. Something Borrowed is her first book. I've heard some of her newer stuff isn't as good, but I loved this one.

It's set in NYC & it's the story of two friends who have known each other their whole lives. One is getting married & the other is her maid of honor, but she's sleeping with the fiance. It's part the story of the girls' friendship, or lack thereof, & part the story of the fiance and the best friend. And it's a little bit SATC in that NYC is a character in the story. They make numerous references to actual bars & restaurants in NYC. I always like that.

I've never slept with any of my friends' fiances, but I identified with this book. I got the NYC thing & the bad job thing, obviously, but I also got the best friend who kind of sucks thing. I think most girls would.

It's a much more interesting book than the cover leads you to believe. I'd recommend reading it if you're in the market for something quick & light. I'm going to keep going with the series & see how it goes. I liked this book a lot.

2 comments:

Acorn + Archer said...

I hope you don't identify too much with the best friend who sucks aspect...don't make me cry!

The Blonde Mule said...

Ha! I'm not referring to anyone who reads this blog (I hope). But I've had 2 friends who were very similar to the bad friend in this book & I've dropped them both.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...