September 6, 2010

Hash Brown Casserole


I made hash brown casserole over the weekend & it was delicious! A couple years ago I made the Loveless Cafe hash brown casserole & didn't love it, so I never tried it again. We were grilling out hamburgers & John wanted something besides french fries, so I decided to give this casserole another go, albeit using a different recipe. I loved it! I'll definitely be making this one again.

Hash Brown Casserole
Adapted from Cooking Light

Serves 9 (1 cup servings)

Ingredients:
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 cup shredded, reduced-fat, sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp paprika
*1 (32 ounce) package frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 (16 ounce) carton light sour cream
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Cooking spray
4 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup Panko Japanese breadcrumbs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first 9 ingredients (up to cooking spray) in a large bowl.

Spoon into a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Sprinkle with panko, a little extra cheese, & melted butter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly.

Kim's Notes:
*I bought Publix brand hash browns & just kept them in the fridge. Apparently they take 1-2 hours to thaw if frozen.

I tried to make this casserole more like mac & cheese by adding mustard powder, garlic & panko. It worked! Highly recommend this recipe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...