February 8, 2011

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie






Today is my friend's last round of chemo, so to celebrate, I made him a chocolate banana cream pie. Actually, I made two pies. I knew there was no way I could make this & just give it away without having a piece, so I made one for us, too.

Mike & Chrissi: I hope you guys liked the pie/quiche (ha!) & congrats for kicking some cancer ass & showing The Hodge who's boss! Now let me know when your eyebrows grow back & maybe I'll make you another pie... Love you guys!

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
Adapted from allrecipes

Serves 6

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 9-inch pastry shell, baked
4 1-ounce squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
2 medium, firm bananas, sliced

For Topping:
Lindt milk chocolate bar, shaved (see video)
Cool whip, thawed

Directions:
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch & salt. Gradually add milk & cream until smooth. Cook & stir over medium-high heat until thickened & bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add a small amount to egg yolks; mix well. Return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter & vanilla. Pour half into the pastry shell; cover & refrigerate. Add melted chocolate to remaining custard; mix well. Cover & refrigerate for 1 hour. Do not stir. Arrange bananas over filling. Carefully spoon chocolate custard over all. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream & chocolate shavings if desired.

Notes:
In the comments on allrecipes, everyone is very insistent on constant stirring in the beginning to avoid lumps, so I did this. My arm got a little sore, but no lumps. I always have issues with tempering eggs & I did again making this pie. I had tiny bits of scrambled egg that I had to spoon out of the custard mix before it went into the refrigerator. But I haven't tasted any scrambled egg in the pie, so.... Lastly, I made the chocolate shavings per the instructions in this video & it was surprisingly easy. Who knew? All in all, this pie is really good & I definitely recommend it!

2 comments:

Panda Parables said...

looks yummy! i have yet to eat banana cream pie since my newly discovered love for bananas.

The Blonde Mule said...

You should! There's actually another recipe that looks better, but I was too intimidated to try it. Since you're a master baker, you'll be fine.

http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2011/01/chocolate-banana-cream-pie.html

Report back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...