July 16, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up: Vacation Edition


As a lot of you know, last May, John landed a HUGE mastering project that was slated to take 3 months.  Our trip to San Francisco last year was supposed to be a celebration of him completing that project.  Well....  that 3 month project accidentally took 13 months.  So he just finished it & we went to Florida for the weekend to celebrate.

We got lucky & found a last minute beach side condo on VRBO in Seagrove.  We walked off of our deck directly onto the beach.  Soooo nice!


We spent Friday on the beach under our $20 Dollar General umbrella (ella, ella, ella).  The beach was packed.  For every adult, there was easily 4 kids, but it was the adults that were so fun to watch.  We were beside this huge extended family with a million kids & they had clearly been out there for hours drinking their weight in Michelob Ultra.  All of the wives were tanked & sooo mad at their husbands.  They were just openly fighting, like borderline Jerry Springer style.  The best thing we overheard, & subsequently jokingly said to each other all weekend, was, "FINE.  From now on, you just tell me what I'm allowed to do!".  Ha!  It's still funny.  Oh, people from *Alabama, you never disappoint.

*Everyone there had Roll Tide beach cabanas, so I'm assuming the entirety of Seagrove drove in from Alabama.


On Friday night, we drove to Rosemary Beach for dinner.  This is a picture of the row houses there, across from all the restaurants.  It was gorgeous.  Note to self:  check out Rosemary Beach on VRBO next time.

We ended up eating at one of the less popular spots, Summer Kitchen Cafe.  It was great!  Low-key, but really good food.  We liked it!


Saturday, back at the beach.  Contrary to the flaming hue of my skin, I am wearing sunscreen.  I just turn bright red in the sun.  It doesn't stick.  I bought Where'd You Go, Bernadette to read on the beach & finished it on Saturday.  Y'all, I loved that book!  I think I'm the last person in the world to read it, but if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.

Also, I wore a bikini on the beach for the first time in probably 20 years.  I don't know what got into me.  I think winning an award for being an Athena helped, plus, at 37, I just don't care anymore.  God help me in 10 years, when I just walk out naked.


On Saturday night, we had dinner at George's in Alys Beach, which I'm convinced is a secret Scientology commune.  I'm 90% sure I saw Suri Cruise riding her razor scooter down 30A.  But George's was great.  It was one of the best meals we've had anywhere in a long time.  You'll drop some serious Benjamins, but if you can swing it, it's well worth it.


On Sunday, we spent most of the day on the beach & then packed it up & headed home.  Good thing, because I had used my two bottles of SPF 100 & that SPF 30 wouldn't have taken me much further.

It was a great trip.  We were there long enough to forget about our jobs, but not there so long that we started worrying about what we'd come home to.  We ate really good food & stayed in a really nice place.  It was perfect.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...