September 14, 2013

Birchbox Review: August


Last month's Birchbox was pretty great.  Here's what I got!

KMS California
FREESHAPE Hot Flex Spray | Full-size, $18.99
Heat-activated spray that protects against breakage & damage while providing medium hold.

My Review:  I haven't straightened my hair since I received this, so I haven't really sampled it, but I've been spraying it on my bangs every day since I have to flat iron them.  It definitely helps my bangs retain their straightness & I assume it's also protecting them from the heat/damage of my flat iron.  I'm not necessarily in the market for a product like this, but it seems to work.

OC8
Professional Mattifying Gel | Full-size, $41
A lightweight gel that creates a sheer matte layer & absorbs shine for 8 hours.

My Review:  Well, this stuff is amazing.  According to makeup artist to the stars, Gio, a matte face is in for fall.  Sadly, my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer isn't matte.  (Oh, the horror!)  I used this over my moisturizer & sunscreen & under my makeup & it totally worked!  A) My "dewy" makeup looked matte.  B) My makeup stayed on all day.  C) I got a lot of random compliments on my makeup that day.  It's a little pricey for my taste, but I'm considering it.  It does have a faint medicine-y smell, but it didn't bother me.  When you first apply it, it feels like you coated your face in Dep hair gel, but that goes away.

P.S. Gio currently uses this (it's cheaper), but he's interested in the OC8 version.


stila
stay all day liquid lipstick | Full-size, $22
Longlasting liquid lipstick in a wearable red that glides on like a gloss but stays put like a stain.

My Review:  This stuff is not for the faint of heart & you need a surgeon's precision to apply it, but it's kind of the shizz.  In fact, I've spent the past month making all of my friends put it on so they could understand.  I've never applied anything like it.  It's an intense application process.  I was too heavy-handed the first few times I put it on, but I've gotten better.  The thing is, it's basically red, quick-dry lip concrete.  Where ever it touches your lips (or, in my case, the skin all around your lips), it stays.  There's no time for correction.  But it looks so good on!  It's the best shade of red I have & it's matte, but without looking dry.  I'm really into this & am totally going to buy it when my sample runs out.  The color I have is Beso.

Whish
Exfoliating Body Wash | Full-size, $22
A coconut-rich scrub that brightens & exfoliates with sugar cane & bamboo powder.

My Review:  Meh.  I didn't love this.  It wasn't very moisturizing & it had a weird smell that you could just barely pick up on over the overly strong scent of coconut.  Not for me.

BEAUTY EXTRA

Whish
Hair Inhibiting Deodorant Swipes | Full-size, $16
From the shaving pros at Whish, these wipes tackle odor & slow hair growth in one swipe.

My Review:  No.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...