June 28, 2014

Birchbox Review: May


In May, Birchbox teamed up with Kate Spade Saturday for a super cute black, white & pink box. Here's what I got.

Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow, $27

When I put this picture on Instagram, my friend Jaime said she loves this BB Cream. Those who know Jaime, know her makeup always looks flawless, so I was anxious to try it. I like it! It's thicker than the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer I wear, but the extra coverage doesn't feel heavy. It looks good on & feels great. It's a smidge dark & it doesn't have SPF, but I may buy this. I'm interested in the concealer, too.

Nexxus Color Assure Pre-Wash Primer, Shampoo & Conditioner, $11.99-$17.99

Oy, this was a disaster. I got my hair highlighted recently, so I used this for my first wash post-color. The shampoo & conditioner is fine. The primer is where the system breaks down. Before you get into the shower, you work the hair-gel-like primer into your dry hair, then you get into the shower, rinse the primer out & follow with the shampoo & conditioner. I have long hair & the sample was tiny, so I used all of the primer. Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I couldn't wash it out. I used all of the Nexxus shampoo, still couldn't get the primer out, & had to re-wash with my regular shampoo. I still never got all the primer out. I just surrendered to having weird hair for a few days. No.

Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm - Pixi Pink, $8

This is another product that got a lot of comments on Instagram. The consensus is great color, too big. You can't tell from the picture, but this is twice the size of a normal lip balm or chapstick. It's bigger than your lips, so you get a pink ring around your mouth. It's a bizarre design flaw for a major cosmetics brand. It's a shame because it feels good on & the color is just right. If you have Angelina Jolie lips, this will totally work for you.

Supergoop! Everyday SPF 30 with Cellular Response Technology, $19

Meh. This is fine. FINE. I used the whole sample, but I won't buy it. It's not moisturizing enough to replace my daily moisturizer with SPF 30. It felt watery & not strong enough to keep me from getting sunburned, especially during exercise, which it claims to do. Pros: it didn't clog my pores or cause me to break-out. I have dry skin & I noticed that all the Birchbox reviewers with oily skin really liked it, so maybe it's better for oily or combination skin. Meh.

LIFESTYLE EXTRA

SmartyPants All-in-One Fiber Gummies for Weight Management, $47.95

I didn't realize it was still a viable business model to market vitamins as a weight loss tool. This is disappointing & insulting. Shame on you, Birchbox.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...