September 25, 2014

Half Ironman 70.3 Training: Week 20 -- Race Week!


Continuing the taper I started last week, this week was all about rest & recovery. Here's what my training looked like:

Swim:

40 minute NAC Masters swim

Bike:

60 minute bike ride (14.40 miles)
Avg mph:  14.5

22 minute bike ride (3.70 miles)
Avg mph:  10.1
1.36 mile brick (16 minutes)

Bike total:  18.1 miles

Run:

2.49 mile run (31:51 minutes)

Run total (including bricks):  3.85 miles

Total training:  2.83 hours

This week was also about organization, the fourth sport of triathlon. I made a spreadsheet of my race weekend schedule & a list of things to do & buy before I leave on Friday. Oh, & I also had to hydrate, eat a lot of protein & get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. And did I mention that John is sick? Yeah, we're currently living in separate zones of our house to keep me from getting sick. We're using Linda to courier messages to each other. I'm just kidding. Linda would never climb that many stairs.

Augusta To Do List:

Make spreadsheet/schedule for weekend
Confirm Augusta hotel
Make pre-race nutrition plan
Make race day nutrition plan
Email nutrition plans to Mari-Etta for feedback
Buy Augusta breakfast food & snacks
Buy insulated cooler/lunch box
Arrange transportation for my sister
Find race tracker app for John, Jaime & Lana
Adjust FB settings so they can tag me during race
Buy salt pills
Buy Huma gels
Paint nails
Register for post-Augusta race
Pack transition bag
Pack weekend bag
Make rice cakes
Chill the fuuuck out


It's weird how this is about the same amount of stuff than I take to an Olympic distance triathlon, which means I'm taking way too much stuff to Olympic distance triathlons. The big differences here are the wetsuit, the practice swim pile & the morning clothes bag pile. Oh, & the headlamp - because apparently I need a headlamp to set up my transition area on Sunday morning...? I swear, if someone told me I'd need to send faxes in transition, there would be a fax machine sitting on this bed. I'm such a sucker.


This morning I did my last training work-out:  20 minute ride, 15 minute run. I almost didn't do it because I thought, 'Today will be the day I wreck & break my leg.' But I'm happy to report I'm still in one piece. Knock on wood.

Seven months & 17 lbs later, I'm officially done training. Next stop:  race day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...