December 29, 2016

2016 Reading Round Up, Part Four


Whoa, I read 53 books in 2016! Well, that's crazy. I read some really great books this year. Here are the books I gave five stars to:

  • The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
  • Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
  • Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
  • This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett
  • Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West
  • LaRose by Louise Erdrich
  • Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
  • Rising Strong by Brene Brown
  • Dear Mr. You by Mary Louise Parker
  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  • Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
  • Just Kids by Patti Smith
  • Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
  • How to Love by Thich Nhat Hanh
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith.


As a reminder, these are off-the-cuff reviews that I peck into my phone as soon as I finish the book. A literary critic, I am not.

Here's what I've been reading!

Today Will Be Different 
by Maria Semple

I really liked this book. It's weird, but hard to put down. I read it in two days. Strange ending, but I'm not mad at it. Definitely read it if you like Maria Semple's writing. 

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss 
by Anderson Cooper

I read this book because Ann Patchett told me to. It's fascinating and surprisingly touching. And you can read it in two sittings. I recommend it, and so does Ann Patchett.

Superficial: More Adventures from The Andy Cohen Diaries 
by Andy Cohen

You guys, I loved this book! I couldn't put it down and laughed throughout the whole thing. Such a great read! It's the first Andy Cohen book I've read, but now I'm going to go back and read his first two. Who knew?!

You'll Grow Out of It 
by Jessi Klein

This book is great. Perfect balance of funny and sweet. Plus, it's a quick read. Definitely recommend. 

Little Failure 
by Gary Shteyngart

Man, I loved this book. Over the years, I've tried to read his other (fiction) books, but I've never been able to get through them. Then recently, Liz Gilbert made reference to how this book (a memoir) is one of her favorites. I remembered I'd received it as a gift, so I picked it up and started reading. It's so great! Highly recommend. 

You Gotta Get Bigger Dreams: And Other Stories 
by Alan Cumming

This is a really fun little book to read. It's basically just a book of photo captions, but I liked it. And it's interesting, especially if you like Alan Cumming. 

The Underground Railroad 
by Colson Whitehead

I just finished this book and I'm crying as I write this review. I almost can't believe how good this book is. Read it. Believe the hype. And if you ever get the chance to hear Colson Whitehead speak, do it. 

Man's Search for Meaning 
by Viktor E. Frankl

"The world is in a bad state, but everything will become still worse unless each of us does his best." This book was recommended as a way to cope with the election. The insights and philosophies helped me, and I'll probably re-read it. The book is divided into two parts. The first part reads fast, but the second part takes more focus and concentration. Overall, it is a great book. You should read it. 

You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain 
by Phoebe Robinson

I liked it a lot. This book is funny as shit. The end got a little tedious. Maybe they could have organized the chapters in a different order. Strong start, meh finish. Definitely worth reading. Hilarious. 

Homegoing 
by Yaa Gyasi

This book is truly a work of art. I loved it and can't believe how fast I read it. I believe this is Yaa Gyasi's first book. I'll read whatever she writes next, hopefully soon. Read this book!

After You (Me Before You, #2) 
by Jojo Moyers

Man, these stupid books are so good. I loved this and couldn't put it down. 

P.S. Forgot what else I've read this year? Here you go!

P.P.S. Are we friends on Goodreads?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...