November 13, 2017

An Interview with Blogger Sheena Steward


You know those people you follow on Instagram and you're like, I know we would be friends if we knew each other in real life? I've thought that about Sheena for awhile now. From her Insta feed, I knew I liked her sense of humor, style, and inability to take a bad picture. But then I started reading her blog and I was blown away by her honesty and vulnerability. Reading her blog reminded me why I started a blog in the first place, to talk about my life.

A self-described, "Thrift Store Queen," if you've been to any of the Goodwill Style With A Purpose events, you've probably met Sheena. That's actually where I finally met Sheena, at the last event in Bellevue. Our racks were beside each other and by the end of the night, I had badgered her into spending a day with me eating tacos and thrifting our way down Nolensville Road. Meet my new friend and today's bitch, Sheena Steward!


What do you do and what is the name of your blog?

By day, I’m an IT recruiter for a healthcare organization. By night, I’m a blogger, public speaker and do-gooder. Yep, that’s a real word!

When did you first learn about blogging? How did you know it was what you wanted to do?

Blogging happened accidentally for me. My husband and I got married in 2016, and started having weekly dates shortly after we married. I posted the dates on social media, and through those social media posts a blog was born. December will be a year anniversary of the blog, and it’s morphed from a date night blog to a full-on lifestyle/relationship blog. I knew blogging was for me because it married (pun intended) so many of the things I love. Hence the name of my blog, Love At Any Stage. I’m able to write about life, marriage, dates, my truths, thrifting and anything else that moves me.

What is the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?

Just get started.


Can you name the biggest lesson you’ve learned or that helped improve the way you work?

Vulnerability is key for me. It’s something I work on daily. The more vulnerable I am, the more in tune I am with myself, others and my work.

What would you do with 2 more hours a day?

"Same thing I do every day Pinky... try to save the world."

What is your greatest success, or something you’re most proud of related to what you do?

My annual birthday good deed project is something I look forward to every year. Each year I’m amazed at the amount of goodness spread during those three weeks.


How do you decompress at the end of the work day?

Annoy my husband by acting like I’m 10. I sing, dance, climb things. You know the usual things married women do.

What’s a fear that keeps you up at night?

A few years ago, I had a job that I was doing well at despite loathing every minute of it. During that time I found out that success scared me more than failure. Some nights when I lie awake I think, what if I got everything I dreamed of, then I freak out.

What is one thing everyone gets wrong about what you do?

That I’m quiet. I’m VERY talkative. Seriously, I talk too much.


What does self-care look like in your life?

Right now, it’s listening to podcasts, secret good deeds and a great car concert.

What helps when you’re stuck? Do you have a motto or quote that inspires/motivates you?

I go back and read old things I’ve written. Most times I’m like DAAAAAMMMNNN I wrote that???

Are there any women who helped pave the way for your success?

My mother! She’s literally the greatest human ever! She also taught me to be who I am, challenge myself as well as others and not to be defined by labels.


Lastly, and most important, what is your favorite TV show and what is your favorite snack?

Sheesh, this is the most difficult question. I wouldn’t say that I have a favorite TV show, but Parenthood is one of my all-time favorites. I go through cycles with snacks, but you can’t go wrong with potato chips.

All photos courtesy of Sheena Steward

P.S. Meet last week's bitch:  Registered Dietitian, Erin Hendrickson!

P.P.S. Full list of My Bitches here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...