October 30, 2017

An Interview with Registered Dietitian Erin Hendrickson


I met today's bitch over the summer when we were both asked to host a shopping event for Goodwill. Neither of us had hosted the event before and we arrived early and bonded in the back room trying to organize our racks. I loved everything Erin pulled for the event and her easy-going personality helped calm my nerves.

If you don't follow Erin on Instagram, you should. Most of the things she wears are thrifted, which you would never guess. She also wears a rotating wardrobe and demonstrates how to get a lot of looks out of not a lot of clothes. If you're looking to buy better and buy less, Erin is your girl. Meet today's bitch, the Minimalist RD, Erin Hendrickson!


What do you do and what is the name of your business?

I am a registered dietitian working with healthcare companies and corporations to promote a culture of health, wellness and sustainability. My side hustle is Minimalist RD where I talk sustainable food systems, fashion and preach responsible consumerism.

When did you first learn about this field of work? How did you know it was what you wanted to do?

Things I love: food, the planet and helping people. A few years ago I figured out how to marry the three and I’m just now approaching my ‘zone of genius.’

What is the best piece of business advice you’ve been given?

Be authentic and live your truth. You can’t fake passion.


Can you name the biggest lesson you’ve learned or that helped improve the way you work?

If you aren’t happy with a circumstance or situation you’re in, CHANGE IT. Quit your job, move away, break up, take a class, make a new friend. Life’s too short for negativity. Getting outside of your comfort zone will produce the most growth.

What would you do with 2 more hours a day?

Cook more food from scratch and read more books.

What has been the biggest sacrifice you’ve made?

I quit my first job out of college after being miserable for years and having no purpose and no back-up plan. I traveled and was literally happier serving food at Chili’s than working in the toxic environment I was previously in. Eventually I landed a job in the health and wellness field and it’s led me on this journey I love.


What is your greatest success, or something you’re most proud of related to what you do?

I LOVE inspiring individuals to take just one step toward living healthier for themselves and our planet. I recently led a group of volunteers through harvesting produce at an organic urban garden, which was donated to a nonprofit that delivers healthy meals to food deserts around Nashville. THAT is my kind of success.

Do you have a morning ritual that helps you set the tone for the day?

Coffee + prayer time + taking the dog for a walk = a good morning.

How do you decompress at night?

I’m not good at turning myself off at night. In a perfect world, I’d cook a fresh dinner, relax with wine and read a book. Instead, it’s weekend leftovers and a few minutes of Netflix, ha!


What helps when you’re stuck? Do you have a motto or quote that inspires/motivates you?

I’m an advocate of taking a break, whether it’s a quick walk around the neighborhood or a weeklong road trip, to really get my creative juices flowing. When I’m in need of inspiration, I love revisiting Steve Jobs’ story. He said ‘stay hungry, stay foolish’ and that really resonates with me in both business and the things I’m passionate about in life.

What does self care look like in your life?

My self-care is making sure to create space in the midst of all life’s chaos - space to travel, go on dates with my husband, be physically active and to give back to those less fortunate.

Are there any women who helped pave the way for your success?

I have several strong, free-spirited women in my family that I absolutely adore and admire. The mentors I turn to most often are those that have shattered cultural norms and are living life on their own terms, while doing so much good in the world!


Lastly, and most important, what is your favorite TV show and what is your favorite snack?

I don’t have cable and rarely watch TV, but I’ve fallen in love with Chef’s Table, a documentary series on Netflix. Favorite snack: fruit + cheese + nuts!

All photos courtesy of Erin Hendrickson

P.S. Meet last week's bitch:  Goodwill Marketing Manager, Niketa Hailey-Hill!

P.P.S. Full list of My Bitches here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...