Once a month I hold open Office Hours on Facebook Live to answer people's quick social media questions (for FREE). This month, I talked about the pros and cons of switching to an Instagram business profile. Think of this as a companion guide to the video.
Rejoice! You can schedule posts in Instagram if you're a business (and you use Hootsuite, Sprout Social, or SocialFlow). Can any business on Instagram schedule posts? No, only businesses with a business profile. What's a business profile? Should you switch to one? Glad you asked!
Fun fact about me: People pay me to help with their social media!
Because of that, I switched to a business profile. I get a lot of engagement on Instagram and I wanted to open the door to some of that engagement turning into business.
With a business profile you get:
- a contact button
- business industry category
- clickable business address
- ability to run ads
One very important note, you must have a Facebook business page to use an Instagram business profile.
Should you make the switch? Let's look at the pros and cons.
- If you're a restaurant or retailer, that clickable address is a huge pro.
- Email? You love it! Can't get enough. See also: don't have a website.
- The life-changing ability to schedule posts if you manage multiple accounts, or just don't want work on nights and weekends.
- In-app analytics that show you things like demographics on your audience, times they're active in Instagram, and reach/engagement on your posts.
- Ability to "boost" ($$$) your posts and reach people outside of your audience.
There are no "real" (I'm using air quotes) cons to making the switch, but here's some food for thought.
- A contact button? Please, you haven't answered an email since 2012.
- You have a great website that people should visit and on that website is an FAQ that answers any question someone would email you about.
- You don't have or want to share your physical address (raises hand).
- You have other ways to pull your analytics.
- Switching solely to see an increase in engagement or sales.
If you're looking to get more followers and increase engagement, switching to a business profile isn't necessarily the answer. Learn how to organically grow an audience and increase engagement by scheduling a one-on-one consultation.
What do you think? Did you make the switch? What's it been like so far?
Let me know in the comments!
P.S. 5 Ways To Increase Engagement With Hashtags
P.P.S. Overwhelmed? Good news, you can hire me to help.