March 15, 2009

Linda McCartney


Last night we learned a little more about our new dog's heritage. Apparently she's a descendant of Harry Houdini. Our friends Mike & Chrissi generously gave us a crate they weren't using. It's for a 65-70 lb dog, so I thought it would be good for our 35 lb dog -give her plenty of room to move around, etc. Little did I know.....

Last night we put Linda in the crate, set the alarm & headed to M'boro for Lauren & Kelly's annual St. Patrick's Day party. We typically set the alarm to "away" when we leave, which turns on the motion detectors. Well, we get to Smyrna & our cell phones start blowing up. It was our alarm company telling us our alarm was going off & police had been dispatched. Clearly Linda had somehow gotten out of the crate & set off the alarm. We assumed we'd get home to a disassembled crate & a freaked out dog.

We blast out of Smyrna & speed home. We realize about half way home that the alarm company turned the alarm off, which makes us feel a little better. But still, we've only had this dog for about 8 hours at this point & we have no idea how she's reacting to the alarm going off, in a house she doesn't know & not a human in sight. Oh, and possibly the police banging on the door.

So we get home. The alarm isn't going off, the crate is completely in tact & Linda is lounging on the couch like nothing happened. John just about lost his mind trying to figure out how she got out of that crate. We assume she slipped out of this teeny tiny space that she shouldn't have been able to fit through. John gets some zip ties & rigs it so that there are no more gaps or spaces. Then he realizes that he assembled the crate wrong, but he doesn't want to reassemble it because then he'd have to cut off the $10 worth of zip ties he just spent 15 minutes putting on.

I refuse to put her back in the crate because I don't want to come home to a dog that's either strangled herself or broken her neck. So we left her alone last night while we ran & got a late dinner. Aside from lounging on the couch, she did just fine. When we went to bed last night, I put her dog bed in our room, but she never came up there. I assumed she spent the night on the couch. I was partly right. I woke up & came downstairs. No sign of her in the living room, but I heard her tail wagging & found her downstairs snoozing on the loveseat. At least it wasn't the leather couch.....

Full photostream here.

2 comments:

Jessica Wilson said...

Ha! You will soon learn how sneaky dogs can be. I used to leave Toby in my bedroom when I lived in an apartment on West End. Every day I would come home and he'd be laying out in the living room on the couch. Finally, one day I caught him in the act- he was tugging on my purse that was hanging off the door handle and opening the door with it.

Emotional Mullet said...

She is so cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...