May 12, 2011

Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

Here lately, a lot of the books I've been reading are books I'm getting chastised for in Book Swap for not having read, e.g. The Poisonwood Bible. Well, To Kill a Mockingbird was another book I've somehow made it 30+ years without reading. I have no idea why. Presumably I read it in school at some point, but who knows.

Mary Katherine & MHG brow-beat both me & Kathy into reading this, and I'm so glad they did! This may be my new favorite book! Why have I never read this? OMG! Also, how did I not know that this book was Southern fiction? Where have I been?! Harper Lee, you complete me!

From Amazon:

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice—but the weight of history will only tolerate so much.

One of the best-loved classics of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird has earned many distinctions since its original publication in 1960. It has won the Pulitzer Prize, been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than forty million copies worldwide, and been made into an enormously popular movie. It was also named the best novel of the twentieth century by librarians across the country.

This book is so good! I loved the relationship between Scout & Jem & Jem & Atticus. I now see where a lot of the books I've enjoyed over the years got their inspiration, e.g. The Help, The Little Friend, etc. If you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird, or haven't read it in some time, I highly, highly recommend it.

Viva la Scout!

3 comments:

Vanilla and Honey said...

Oh...my FAVORITE BOOK! Well, that and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...my husand is reading it now...and talking about Scout is a daily occurance lately...Love it!

The Blonde Mule said...

I own A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but I haven't read it yet. I need to movie it up higher on my list. Thank you!

Friendship SMS said...

This book is so simple,so lucid yet it touches your heart. Harper Lee won a Pulitzer for this one and she deserves it!!
This book is set in early nineties in a small town in Mississippi. The protagonist is a small girl who leans about life. Scout is a small girl, who along with her brother Jem see the evil of racism. Their father , Atticus is a lawyer who defends an innocent black man. In the end the evil of racism sees the poor man being punished. Yet we see how the incident affects Scout and Jem and how Atticus teaches the entire world a lesson.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...