July 15, 2011

Jonny Corndawg



Friends, I've been keeping a secret from you, and that secret is Jonny Corndawg. I'm sharing my secret now because Jonny Corndawg is playing at The Basement tomorrow night & I want ALL OF YOU to come. The show starts at 9:00pm & the cover is only $5. $5! You can swing that.

It's a Baldwin house rule that I can't talk about the music I hear coming from John's studio. For those of you who know me, you KNOW how challenging this is. This particular music was really hard to keep to myself because I loved it so hard. Jonny Corndawg's music fills a void I've spent the better part of my adulthood pretending I don't have. I've spent many years affiliating myself with the 'right bands'. But Jonny Corndawg blows that bullshit out of the water. He's got a song about bears. Bears! Do you know how much that song speaks to my soul?!

I grew up listening to late 70s/early 80s country, not by choice mind you, by default because that's what my parents listened to. For whatever reason, I always hated it. Probably just out of sheer rebellion. As soon as I got my first walkman & started buying cassettes, I kicked my parents' country to the curb & never looked back. Until now. I keep referring to Jonny Corndawg's music as 'ironic country', which drives John crazy, so I guess I should quit. But I don't know what else to call it! Regardless, I love it. I've been secretly listening to it for months, & now that the secret is out, I want everyone to hear it & see him live. If you know me, you know I'm a big word of mouth person & I'm also usually right. I assure you, I'm right about this, too. Come out to The Basement tomorrow night. You won't be sorry.

This first video below is a whopping 18 minutes long, so I don't expect you to watch the whole thing (although you totally should), but it opens with one of my favorite songs & the other one is at 13:39 if you want to skip ahead.




Meet Jonny Corndawg from Miku & Ryan on Vimeo.




The Basement
Sat, July 16
Jonny Corndawg w/ Nikki Lane and Andrew Combs
9pm, $5

Viva la Corndawg!

1 comment:

The Blonde Mule said...

Sorry, I just realized this deleted comment looks super suspicious. It was just spam, nothing exciting or even related to my blog post. Grrr....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...