From their website: Birchbox is the best way to discover new grooming, beauty & lifestyle products. Sample top products from high-end brands, get expert advice, buy new favorites & earn points with every purchase. It's $10 a month. Full FAQ here.
I received my first Birchbox last month. I meant to write about it sooner, but I wanted to use all the products first & the self tanner was holding me up. I'll talk about that later. Here is what was in my box for June.
beautyblender | blendercleanser
- Birchbox description: Keep your makeup sponges & brushes in prime condition with this soy-based formula, which removes built-up bacteria & oil. Full-size, $17.95
- My review: Sorry, I haven't used this yet. I'm horrible about cleaning my brushes.
Comodynes | Self-Tanning Intensive
- Birchbox description: Who needs the sun with you can get a safe, buildable, & natural-looking tan with these bestselling European towelettes? Pack of 8, $14.99
- My review: I was excited to use this product, but it ended up being kind of a disaster. Each packet contains one towelette that's supposed to cover your whole body. The first time I used it, I followed the video tutorial, used one towelette & applied it in a circular motion. It didn't work AT ALL. Half of me was super tan & half of me was not tan at all (see above). And it was embarrassingly uneven, especially around my joints. In the interest of science, I tried it one more time, this time using two towelettes & not applying it in a circular motion, but more of a sweeping motion to ensure better coverage. The second time was an improvement from the first, but still noticeably uneven. It pains me to say this, but I do not recommend this product. Sorry, Birchbox.
Number 4 | Super Comb Prep & Protect
- Birchbox description: This gorgeous-smelling leave-in treatment detangles & defrizzes with nutrient-rich botanicals, while built-in UV filters keep strands protected. Full-size, $32
- My review: I don't think I had ever used a leave-in conditioner prior to this. I wasn't sure that I needed more conditioner, as I apply it in the shower, but I went ahead & used it. It smells so good! And it's not heavy. I've been using conditioner in the shower & then spraying this on before I blow dry. I usually use Bumble & Bumble Styling Lotion, but this is way better, especially now that my hair is longer & I'm swimming all the time. I love it! I'm buying this one.
theBalm cosmetics | Stainiac in Beauty Queen
- Birchbox description: We're crazy about this two-in-one lip & cheek stain: the sheer gel formula delivers a subtle, long-wearing flush. Full-size, $17
- My review: I've never used a cheek & lip stain. It just never made sense to me. Until now! Y'all, I love this. It gives my cheeks the perfect flush without looking like makeup. As a lip stain, it lasts ALL DAY. I put it on in the morning & then just sporadically apply a clear gloss throughout the day. It's still on at night when I clean my face! Stainiac, you complete me. I'm buying this one. It comes in three colors. I have Beauty Queen.
tili | Bags
- Birchbox description: Breeze through airport security with these too-cute plastic bags. They're perfectly sized for storing all your travel essentials (& beauty samples). Pack of 9-12, $8.49 - $9.49
- My review: I used this flying to DC recently & it held a lot. A lot more than my usual generic ziploc bag. Plus, it's cute & heavy duty. I don't know that I'll buy more of these, but I'll definitely keep using the one I have.
John Varvatos | Star USA
- Birchbox description: In honor of Father's Day, we've included this dapper cologne, a blend of ginger, juniper berries, & vetiver. Pass it on to a lucky guy friend of family member. Full-size, $55-70
- My review: John doesn't wear cologne & my friend Heidi had recently told me how her boyfriend LOVES cologne samples, so I passed it along to her. Heidi, if you're reading, you'll have to leave a comment & tell us how Andy liked it.
Overall, I'm really pleased with Birchbox. The June box was well worth my $10 & I'm buying two of the products. If you're the least bit interested, I highly recommend it. You don't "join" or buy a membership; you just pay $10 a month until you don't want to anymore.
Also, you can give gift subscriptions, which is how my aforementioned friend Jordan found out about it. Her mom bought her a year subscription for her birthday. Also, if you have mens who love product, there's a Birchbox for men. My friend bought a subscription for her husband for Father's Day & she says he loves it - FYI.