August 28, 2013

2013 Reading Round Up, Part One

Picking up where I left off with my 2012 Reading Round Up, here is a quick summary of the books I've read this year.


The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)

I don't usually read mystery/thriller books, but, like the rest of the world, I wanted to read J.K. Rowling's secret book.  The story kept me interested throughout & I really liked the main character.  If you're the least bit interested in reading this, I recommend it.

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

I LOVED this book!  It's hard to talk about without giving anything away.  This is one of the few books that made my cry at the end.  I feel like if you liked A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, To Kill A Mockingbird, or The Poisonwood Bible, you'll like this book.

I Want My MTV by Rob Tannenbaum & Craig Marks

Man, I kind of devoured this book.  It's basically an oral history of MTV.  And it's amazing.  I've watched MTV from the beginning.  I daresay, I've seen most of the music videos.  I even majored in music video production in college & have a totally useless Bachelor of Science in Electronic Media Production to prove it.  I worked for a music video production company during & after college & did years of freelance work for other production companies, for CMT & for freelance directors & art directors who would hire me to help them on shoots.  Also!  I bet none of you know this, but I actually moved to NYC to work for VH1, which I hilariously ended up not doing once I got there.  Long story short:  they were only going to pay me $19K/year & Viacom didn't allow their PA's to have second jobs.  So I didn't take it & I've never done video work again.  But I still love music videos & I LOVED this book!

Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris

Yes, I'm still reading these books, which gets confusing when you're watching True Blood at the same time.  I recommend this book series to people all the time.  Y'all, these books are good!  And they have almost nothing to do with the HBO series, so if you don't like the show, you may still like these books.  Trust.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

I loved this book so hard.  I took it with me on vacation earlier this summer & plowed through it in two days.  It's not warm & fuzzy & there's not a perfect ending, but I liked it.  I only add that disclaimer because a lot of my friends didn't like it as well as I did & most of them say they liked it up until the end.

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Y'all, this book.  Holy crap.  It actually has nothing to do with marriage & everything to do with bipolar disorder.  It's the most honest & presumably accurate portrayal of what it must be like to be in a relationship with someone who's bipolar & goes on & off their medication.  It's raw, it's a little hurt-y, but it's so good.  I'm a huge Jeffrey Eugenides fan.  If you're cool with his style, read this book.

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris

Love, love, love!  I've read every one of his books, but this is the first one in awhile that I've really liked.  If you liked Me Talk Pretty One Day, you'll like this.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (aka The Bloggess)

If you don't know, Jenny writes a really funny, really popular blog called The Bloggess.  This is her memoir & it's hilarious.  Highly recommend.

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

No.

Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster

I read every Jen Lancaster book because she's my spirit animal.  This was not one of my favorites.  Maybe funnier if you were in high school in the eighties.  I'm about 5 minutes too young for all the references in the book.

How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran

Meh.  I'm glad I read this because I like to know what people are talking about when they're talking about it.  And there were definitely parts that resonated with me & made me laugh.  But still, meh.

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Reading this 20 lb book was a labor of love.  But I did it.  And I liked it, though I never thought about it again after I finished it.

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Why did I wait so long to read this book?!  Gah, this book completes me.  Surely everyone else has read it by now, but if not, read it.

Life After Death by Damien Echols

This book left a permanent scar.  If you haven't read it, you should.  And then watch the 3-part HBO documentary, Paradise Lost, as well as the recently released Peter Jackson documentary, West Of Memphis.  Just consider it your civic duty.  And then call me & we will shake our fists together at the trainwreck that is our U.S. justice system.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...