October 16, 2017

An Interview with Attorney and Fashion Blogger Betsy Appleton


There are a million reasons I'm thrilled to partner with Goodwill on their Style With A Purpose events, like having more reasons to thrift and making people shop a rack of things I pick out. But what I looooove, is getting to know the other bloggers, many of which I've followed on Insta, but never met IRL. Today's bitch is one of these women.


Betsy wears fancy clothes to a fancy job. And guess where she gets those fancy clothes? Goodwill. If your job requires professional outfits, but you don't want to spend a lot of money on those outfits, Betsy is your girl. Make sure and follow her on Instagram, and if you want to meet her in-person and shop a rack of items she picked out, come to our event on October 19! RSVP here. Now, please meet my very sweet new friend, Betsy Appleton!


What do you do and what is the name of your blog?

I’m an attorney by day and fashion blogger at Goldwill Digger by night.

When did you first learn about fashion bloggers? How did you know it was what you wanted to do?

I first stumbled upon fashion bloggers while I was in college, but I really started to discover bloggers and the blogosphere while I was in law school. Following fashion bloggers helped me escape the monotony and stress. The idea of blogging crept into my mind during my last year of law school, but I didn’t have the time or creative energy to put into honing my craft. Also, I struggled to find my niche in the fashion blogger world. I wanted to offer helpful, unique, and informative inspiration to my peers, but I didn’t know what that looked like. I wrestled with what made my style and blog unique for many months before I pulled the trigger on a launch date.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

The answer to this question changes as I venture into each new chapter in my life, but one thing that has stuck with me is a quote I heard over 10 years ago, "The purpose of life is to have a life of purpose." I keep this little nugget of wisdom in the back of my mind and constantly remind myself of my purpose.


Can you name the biggest lesson you’ve learned?

There is only one you. In the blogosphere with hundreds of thousands of bloggers, it’s very easy to get caught playing the comparison game. I have to remind myself that there is only one me, I am unique, and no one else can be me.

What would you do with 2 more hours a day?

Read more. I really enjoy reading, and I can never find the time to enjoy a good book. When I do find time to read, I fall asleep two or three pages into the chapter.

What has been the best thrift find you’ve made?

One word. Gucci. Specifically, Tom Ford for Gucci circa 2010. It’s an outrageous fuschia maribou fur stole, and I’m obsessed. I did not technically find this piece because my mom found it, but I am now the proud possessor so I am going to take credit for it. Plus, any time I get the chance to talk about this work of art, I do.


What is your greatest success, or something you’re most proud of related to your blog?

I have two. One is when I hit publish on my very first post. I look back now and would change a lot of things about my first post, but it was a scary, vulnerable, and important leap to open yourself (and your writing) up to public consumption. Another surreal moment was being included in a Buzzfeed feature on thrift bloggers.

Do you have a morning ritual that helps you set the tone for the day?

Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. No, but really that’s the only consistent morning ritual I have besides feeding my cat.

How do you decompress at night?

I have to exercise at some point during the day. I’ve found that to be my most effective form of decompression. Also, I try to turn off everything an hour before bedtime and read until I fall asleep.


What helps when you’re stuck? Do you have a motto or quote that inspires/motivates you?

When I’m feeling uninspired, which happens often, I love to surround myself with creative and motivated women to remind me why I started in the first place. I also keep myself in check when I get discouraged by looking back to when I first launched Goldwill Digger and acknowledging and appreciating how far I’ve come and how much I’ve learned about myself.

What does self care look like in your life?

For me, it’s very important to show my body love by fueling it with healthy, natural, and quality foods. This is a financial and time investment, but it’s a long term investment in my body and my health.

Are there any women who helped pave the way for your success?

Most definitely my mother. She instilled me with values and drive from the womb. She alway made me feel empowered, confident, and loved. If I wanted to sell puka shell necklaces door to door, she would 100% support me!


Lastly, and most important, what is your favorite TV show and what is your favorite snack?

Does The Today Show count? I watch it every morning and have since second grade! If calories didn’t count, I would eat Little Debbie’s Christmas tree brownies for every meal the rest of my life. For a healthy snack, my go-to is Trader Joe’s plantain chips with tahini sauce.

All photos courtesy of Betsy Appleton

P.S. Meet last week's bitch:  Writer, Lucie Witt!

P.P.S. Full list of My Bitches here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...