October 13, 2012

Birchbox Review: September


As I mentioned last month, I was disappointed with my August Birchbox, so much so that I debated canceling my subscription.  Well, things have changed.  Birchbox redeemed itself with the September box.  Here's what I got & why this was the best Birchbox yet.

Benefit Cosmetics | foamingly clean facial wash + refined finish facial polish

  • Birchbox description:  Purify your skin with this glycerin-paced cleanser & natural clay exfoliator.  Full-size, $21-22
  • My review:  Disclaimer:  I've been using Kiehl's Gentle Foaming Facial Cleanser for over 10 years & have yet to be swayed by another product.  The Benefit facial wash is too soapy for me, but if you have oily skin, or are used to soap on your face, this may be for you.  Now the facial polish I like.  I love a good face scrub & this one really does the job.  It's super gritty, which I like.

Color Club | Birchbox Custom Polish

  • Birchbox description:  We teamed up with Color Club to create this custom shade, inspired by the Fall 2012 collections.  Full-size, $8
  • My review:  The positive:  I love these colors.  I got the grey & then got the blue from a friend who didn't want hers (thanks, Sarah!).  The negative:  the polish doesn't seem to stay on as long as some other brands do.  I'll definitely use up the two bottles I have because I do love the colors, but I doubt I'll buy more.

Dr. Jart + | Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25+

  • Birchbox description:  Think of this four-in-one moisturizer, serum, sunscreen, & skin-perfecting tint as the (extremely stylish) Swiss Army Knife of your beauty lineup.  Full-size, $32
  • My review:  I was happy to receive this because I've been wanting to try a BB Cream.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this is a moisturizer, serum, sunscreen & tinted moisturizer.  I don't put makeup on right away.  I go ahead & used all my normal products, then later apply the BB Cream when I'm putting on my makeup.  I like it okay.  I certainly don't dislike it.  It doesn't provide as much coverage as my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.  Also, my chin broke out a lot this month, which never happens.  It's possible it's stress, but it's more likely from this BB Cream.  Maybe it's product over-load for my sensitive skin?  Bottom line:  I'm glad I tried it, but it won't replace my Laura Mercier.

kate spade new york | Twirl

  • Birchbox description:  A blend of fruity & floral notes, this modern classic feels joyful & carefree.  Full-size, $18-80
  • My review:  Hold on to your hats, people.  I like this!  I know the description says it's fruity & floral, but it doesn't smell that way on me.  It's got a lot more depth than you would think from reading the description.  I may buy this.  May...  There's another perfume I've got my eye on, but this one is definitely in the running.

twistband | Hair Tie

  • Birchbox description:  Give your ponytail a makeover with these colorful, snag-free elastics.  Set of 12, $18
  • My review:  I keep seeing these around & am so glad I received one because I would have probably never bought one for myself.  I got a pretty teal color, which I love.  It has faded a little & it's stretched out a little, but I like it.  I'd like to have one that matches my hair color, so I may buy at least one more.  My hair salon sells them, so I'll probably get one there.

LIFESTYLE EXTRA
BAND-AID | Cynthia Rowley Dress Up Band-Aids

  • Birchbox description:  Be prepared for life's little emergencies with these stylish designer bandages.  Pack of 20, $15
  • My review:  I haven't had the occasion to use one of these yet, but they're cute.


I'm not sure why, but I'm one of the few people who received a $25 gift card to Madewell in my September box.  I assumed it came in every box, but when I posted a picture on Instagram, I quickly realized that not everyone got it.  Oops!  Sorry, y'all.

To know me is to know my love of Madewell, so I was TRES EXCITED to receive this.  The gift card was good for $25 off the purchase of $75 or more.  I used mine towards the purchase of their Pebble Cardigan, which I've been wearing as many times a week as I can get away with.  It's my new favorite thing I own.

Thank, you Birchbox!  You've been redeemed!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...